Monday 03rd of February 2003 02:44 AM 
Biographies: British Military Figures [K - Z]

Click here to go to British Military Figures A - J

Please note: I have added flags at the head of each biography in order to give visitors a way of seeing, at a glance, where the person was born, where they spent most of their life, and which side they fought for in the Boer War.

1st Flag=birthplace (if known)
2nd flag=main nation of residence (no second flag if birthplace was nation of residence)
3rd flag=side figure fought (or acted) for

Click on thumbnails to view larger images

EnglandUnited Kingdom
KEKEWICH, Major-General Robert George (1854-1914)
Maj-Gen Kekewich
Born in Devonshire, educated at Marlborough he joined the Army in 1874. After service in Malaya, Egypt and the Sudan, he was posted to South Africa on the outbreak of the War, and was in command of the troops defending Kimberley. During the siege he came into violent conflict with Cecil Rhodes who insisted on making his own arrangements with civilians for defence, etc. After the relief Colonel Kekewich was promoted to Major-General.

IrelandUnited Kingdom
KELLY-KENNY, General Sir Thomas (1840-1914)
General Sir Thomas Kelly-Kenny
Born in Ireland. Joined the Army at the age of 18 and served in China in 1860. His chief claim to prominence was his role in the South African War in which he commanded the Sixth Division in 1900. Later he engaged in battles at Paardeburg, Poplar Grove, Driefontein and elsewhere, being placed in command of the newly captured Orange Free State in the same year. After serving as Adjutant-General from 1901 to 1904 he retired in 1907.


IrelandUnited Kingdom
KITCHENER, Horatio, Herbert, F-M 1st Earl, of Khartoum and Broome (1850-1916)
 Lord Kitchener
Born in Ireland at Ballylongford, he was trained for the Royal Engineers at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, which he entered in 1867. Commissioned at the age of 21, he was lent to the Palestine Exploration Fund for archæological work in 1874; did surveying in Cyprus in 1878, and in 1882 began the long career in Egypt and the Sudan that was to make him famous. He rose to be Governor-General of the Eastern Sudan in 1886 and Sirdar or Commander-in-Chief of the Egyptian forces in 1892. This led, six years later, to the conquest of Sudan and to the 'avenging' of General Gordon's death at Khartoum. The next year he was called to South Africa as Chief-of-Staff to Earl Roberts and in 1900 he succeeded the latter as Commander-in-Chief. Kitchener's main ability lay in the field of organisation. He created the blockhouse system, oversaw the system of concentration camps, suppressed rebellion in the North-West Cape, and ostensibly brought the war to an end with the Treaty of Vereeniging in 1902. He spent the ensuing years in India and the East, became Secretary of State for War in 1914, raising 3, 000, 000 men by voluntary enlistment before the adoption of conscription, and protested against the continuance of the Dardenelles expedition. Sent to Russia on the eve of the Revolution he was drowned off Northern Scotland in H.M.S Hampshire. Probably the most prestigious British military personality since Wellington, he was never known to address a man in the ranks except to give him an order and would have no married officers on his staff.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
LAGDEN, Sir Godfrey Yeatman (1851 - 1934)
Expert on indigenous African affairs and administrator of African territories. Born in England, he entered the British Post Office in 1869, and first went to South Africa as Chief Clerk to the State Secretary of the Transvaal under the first British occupation in 1878. Later he became Private Secretary to Sir Owen Lanyon and Secretary to the Executive Council. During the Majuba Campaign he was besieged in Pretoria. He later served on several commissions. Lagden was war correspondent during the Egyptian campaign of 1882-83, and served for a while in the Colonial Service in Sierra Leone and the Gold Coast. From there he went to Basutoland in 1884, where he distinguished himself and became Resident Commissioner in 1890. In 1892 he was Commissioner in Swaziland, and again in Basutoland from 1893 to 1901. As Chairman of the Inter-Colonial South African Native Affairs Commission in 1902-04, he produced the classic report on the Colour problems [sic]. Lagden served during the South African War and was repeatedly mentioned in despatches. He wrote a standard book on the Basutos in 1909, and was a distinguished hunter.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
LYTTLETON, General Sir Neville Gerald (1845-1931)
Gen. Sir Neville Lyttelton
Born in Worcestershire, England. During the War he commanded the Fourth Brigade (2nd and 4th Division) in Natal, at Spion Kop and elsewhere. In the Transvaal Lyttleton fought along the Delagoa Bay Railway, and in Lydenburg, at Helvetia. From 1902 to 1904 he was Commander-in-Chief of the British forces in South Africa and returned to become Chief of the General Staff (1904-1908).



MACKAY, James Alexander Kenneth, Major General C.B., O.B.E. (1859 - 1935)
Major-General Mackay
Australian soldier, author and politician, born on 5 June 1859 at Wallendbeen, New South Wales, son of Scottish-born parents, Alexander Mackay, squatter, and his wife Annie, nee Mackenzie; Donald George (q.v) was his brother. He was educated at home and at Camden College and Sydney Grammar School. In his mid-twenties he extended his education by attending H. E. Southey's college at Mittagong. He was a good athlete and an outstanding horseman, well-known in country districts as an amateur jockey. He also rode at Randwick and Rosehill.

In 1885, while at Mittagong, Mackay raised a volunteer cavalry troop called the West Camden Light Horse and was appointed captain in command. Shortly afterwards he returned to the family property to assist his ageing father. He spent his quieter moments writing short stories and ballads. Several were published in newspapers and popular journals before his first book, Stirrup Jingles (1887). Similar publications in Sydney, A Bush Idyll (1888) and Songs of a Sunlit Land (1908), followed. He also wrote the novels, Out-Back (London, 1893) and The Yellow Wave (1895), which imagined a Chinese invasion of Australia.
On 13 March 1890, he married Mabel Kate White at the Presbyterian manse, North Melbourne. Mackay was elected as a Protectionist to the Legislative Assembly for Boorowa in 1895; he held the seat for (Sir) Edmund Barton's National Federal Party in 1898. Vice President of the Executive Council in (Sir) William Lynes Ministry from 15 September 1899, he was nominated to the Legislative Council in October to represent the government. He held the same position under (Sir) John See and Thomas Waddell in 1903-04 and remained in the council until its reconstruction in 1933.
In 1897 the unpaid volunteer component of the New South Wales Military Forces was being revived. Mackay raised the 1st Australian Horse, a regiment of cavalry recruited entirely from country districts, was appointed to command and in 1898, was promoted lieutenant-colonel. A composite squadron from the regiment was sent to the South African War but Mackay was too senior in rank to accompany it. Instead, resigning his portfolio, he was given command of the New South Wales Imperial Bushmen Contingent which sailed from Sydney in April 1900. The Bushmen were sent to Rhodesia and placed under the command of Sir Frederick Carrington. They moved to Mafeking in July and into the western Transvaal.
In the next three months Mackay rode over 550 miles (885 km), lived in the open with his men and was several times under fire. It was an unhappy period in his life: he was frustrated by Carrington's poor command, he quarreled with his Brigadier and he was deeply shocked by the death in action of his wife's young brother who was serving with him. Finally, outside Zeerust, he was injured when his horse fell. He was sent to Cape Town and in November 1900 was appointed chief Staff officer for the various Australian contingents.   
While in South Africa, he unsuccessfully stood for election to the first Australian Senate. He returned to Sydney in July 1901 and for his war service was appointed C.B., mentioned in dispatches and granted the honorary rank of Colonel.
In 1906-07, Mackay was chairman of a royal commission covering the administration of Papua; its report was presented in 1907 and in 1909 his personal account "Across Papua" was published. He retained his interest in military matters and in 1912 was given command of the 1st Light Horse Brigade. As colonel he supervised its reorganisation into the 3rd Light Horse Brigade. He commanded the military parade at Canberra in 1913 for the setting of the foundation stone and the naming of the Capital.
Too old for active military service during World War I, he was appointed to raise an Australian Army Reserve from returned soldiers and was its first director-general from 1916. He was appointed O.B.E. in 1920. That year he retired from the Australian Military Forces with the honorary rank of major-general. Throughout his life, Mackay had maintained a close interest in primary industry and the bush and its people. His own property, Wallendoon, was part of the land which his father had occupied since 1842. He was living there when admitted to Cootamundra District Hospital, where he died on 16 November 1935. His wife and two daughters survived him.

United KingdomIsle of Man
MADOC, Lieutenant-Colonel H. W.
Lieut-Col Madoc - thumbnail onlyChief Constable of the Isle of Man, succeeded Colonel Freeth, M.V.O. in the office, his appointment by the Lieut.-Governor (Lord Raglan), being announced early in July, 1911. Previous to nomination to the control of the Isle of Man Constabulary, Col. Madoc was Acting-Commissioner of the Transvaal Police. He was appointed Major in the South African Constabulary in 1900, and subsequently became Lieutenant-Colonel commanding in the Western Transvaal District. He was promoted Assistant Inspector-General in 1906, and later became Acting Inspector General. On the amalgamation of the South African Constabulary and the Johannesburg Police, Colonel Madoc was appointed Deputy-Commissioner and second in command of the Transvaal Police. During the Boer war, he saw considerable service and gained high distinction in connection with the defence of Kimberley and the relief of Mafeking.
Madoc was a keen ornithologist and wrote a book on Birds on Isle of Man. He died shortly after retirement in 1936. He was probably the main person responsible for the excellent design of the Knockaloe WWI Internment camps as he had seen the great loss of life caused by inadequate design of the British civilian concentration camps in the Boer War.

< manx/exans/prt_1912.htm>

GibraltarUnited Kingdom
MAUDE, Lieutenant-General Sir Frederick Stanley, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. (1864-1917).
L-Gen Sir Frederick Maude - thumbnail onlyStanley Maude was born at Gibraltar, 24 June 1864 and was the youngest son of General Sir Frederick Francis Maude, V.C., G.C.B. He was educated at Eton. He passed out of Sandhurst and joined the Coldstream Guards on 6 February 1884. He went out with the Coldstream Guards to Saukin and landed there in March 1885 and returned with the Coldstream Guards to England in September 1885 after earning the Egyptian Medal with Saukin bar and the Khedive’s Egyptian Star.
When the Boer War broke out in 1899 Maude was a Major with the Coldstream Guards but did not leave with the regiment to South Africa. He left shortly after on 16 December 1899 and arrived in South Africa in January 1900 to join the 2/Coldstream Guards at Modder River on 11 January 1900. He took part in various actions, including the 'Great De Wet Hunt". He returned to England in March 1901 for medical treatment and a new assignment to Canada. He had earned a D.S.O. and the Queen’s South African Medal with 6 clasps.
He was appointed Military Secretary to the Governor-General of Canada and reached that post near the end of May 1901. He returned to England in November 1904 and took up duties a second-in-command of 1/Coldstream Guards and later general staff work. During this time he was promoted in rank to Lieutenant-Colonel in 1907 and to Colonel in 1911.
Shortly after the start of WWI, Maude found himself in France on staff with General Pulteney’s 3rd Corps. In October 1914 he was promoted to Brigadier-General and given command of the 14th Brigade. He was wounded in April 1915 and sent back to England for recuperation. He returned to his Brigade in early May 1915. In June 1915 he was promoted to Major-General and given command of 33rd Division training in England for duty at the front in France.
The situation changed in mid-August 1915 and he was given orders to proceed to Sir Ian Hamilton’s headquarters and then to a new command on the Gallipoli Peninsula. He took over the remains of the 13th Division in the Suvla area. He participated in the withdrawal of his division from Suvla and their landing at Helles and then in early January 1916 of their withdrawal from Helles. From here the division was sent to Egypt to assemble in late January 1916 at Port Said for training and resupply. In December 1915, in Mesopotamia, Kut had been invested. Orders were received at the end of January 1916 to prepare the 13the Division for shipment to Mesopotamia.
At the end of February 1916, Major-General Sir Stanley Maude landed with some of his forces at Basrah. In April 1916 there was much hard fighting in an attempt to relieve Kut but the forces invested in Kut were forced to surrender at the end of April. During May and June 1916 the Division was busy fighting both Turkish forces and Arab bandits in the area. In mid July 1916 Maude was promoted to the temporary rank of Lieutenant-General and assumed command of the 3rd Army Corps, also known as the Tigris Corps. Shortly after, in mid-August 1916 he was given command of the Army in Mesopotamia. After a period of reorganization and establishing communications Lieutenant General Sir Stanley Maude started advance against the Turkish forces in the middle of December 1916 which was to rout the Turkish forces and achieve the capture of Baghdad in March 1917. More consolidation and preparations followed and then the drive starting in September and ending in November 1917 to take Ramadie, Dur and Tekrit.
Shortly after this Maude was stricken with cholera and died at Baghdad on the 18th of November 1917.


ScotlandUnited Kingdom
METHUEN, 3rd Baron (1845-1932)
Baron Methuen
Commissioned into Scots Fusilier Guards, later Scots Guards. 1873-1874, First Ashanti Campaign. 1882, Egypt in battle of Tel-el-Kebir. 1884-1885, Bechuanaland (modern-day Botswana). 1899-1900, commanded 1st Division. Although very senior he served throughout the rest of the war largely devoting his efforts to the capture General De la Ray in the Western Transvaal. 1908-1912, he was Commander-in-Chief South Africa, where he did much to improve relations with the Boers. 1915-1919, Governor of Malta.


MORANT, Harry Harbord 'The Breaker' (1865 - 1902)
Harry Breaker Morant
Adventurer and minor poet, born in Bridgwater, Somerset, South-West England, as Edwin Henry Murrant. Probably the most controversial military figure in Australian history. He arrived in North Queensland in 1883, and the following year married Daisy May O'Dwyer, later Daisy Bates. About this time he changed his name, and ranged about Queensland and New South Wales earning a living by his skills as a rider and horse-breaker. Under the pseudonym of 'The Breaker' he contributed ballads and bush verse to the Sydney magazine The Bulletin from 1891, writing some 60 poems. In 1899 he enlisted in the South Australian contingent sailing for the South African War. In South Africa, after the alleged murder (naturally murder is a somewhat difficult charge to lay during a war) and mutilation by the Boers of a close friend, Morant and a companion (Handcock) were court-martialled and executed by firing squad for their 'retaliation' against a group of surrendering Boers and for the murder of a German missionary (Heese) who probably witnessed these acts.

United Kingdom
NORTON-GRIFFITHS, Lieut-Col. Sir John K.C.B., D.S.O., M.P. (born 1871)
Son of John Griffiths. Governing Director of Norton Griffiths and Co., public works contractors and engineers, and an Officer of Legion of Honour; served in the Matabele - Mashona Wars 1896-7, in command of Scouts (despatches thrice), in British South African Police and during the South African War, first in Colonial Div., and afterwards as Capt. and Adj. Lord Roberts' Body Guard, Head-Quarter Staff; during European War 1914-18, raised a Special Cavalry Regiment, and subsequently on Staff of Engineer-in-Charge with rank of Lieut-Col. to organise and start Tunnelling Cos. R.E. (despatches thrice, D.S.O., Legion of Honour); went on special mission to Rumania in connection with Oil and Corn Stores 1916 (Star of Rumania, 3rd class of Russian Order of St Vladimir, Officer of Legion of Honour): assumed by deed poll 1917 the additional name of Norton; sat as M.P. for Wednesbury (C) 1910 to 1918; sat for Central Div. of Wandsworth from December 1918. m. 1901, Gwladys, daughter of Thomas Wood (of Browning Wood and Fox). D.S.O. 1916, K.C.B. (Civil) 1917.

OTTER, William Dillon
W.H. Otter
William Otter is often regarded as Canada's first true professional soldier. He was born in 1843 near Goderich Ontario. While working as a clerk in the 1860s Otter joined the militia with the Queen's Own Rifles and fell in love with the military way of life.
In 1866 he participated in the defence of Canada against Fenian raids at the Battle of Ridgeway. By 1883 he was able to secure appointment in the tiny permanent army by becoming commander of the infantry school at Toronto. With the outbreak of the 1885 Resistance, Otter was despatched to the Northwest Territories to assist General Frederick Middleton in the advance on the Métis stronghold of Batoche. However, upon news of the murder of white settlers at Frog Lake, Otter was placed in charge of a column that was to "relieve" the town of Battleford and the surrounding area from the threat of Indian attack.
Liberally interpreting Middleton's commands, Otter decided to seek out and engage the Cree and Stoney Indians who had been threatening Battleford under Chief Pitikwahanapiwiyin (Poundmaker). Otter met the Indian forces at Cut Knife Hill on 2 May and was routed. Only the intervention of Pitikwahamapiwiyin prevented the Indian forces from inflicting greater damage on Otter's retreating column. With the fall of Batoche, Otter assisted in the army's unsuccessful attempt to capture the elusive Mistahimaskwa (Big Bear).
Otter's military reputation was not harmed by his loss at Cut Knife Hill. He would serve in the South African War and become the first Canadian-born Chief of the General Staff. During World War I he was placed in charge of Canadian internment camps. He was knighted in 1913 and made a general in 1923.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
PANZERA, Lieutenant-Colonel Francis William (1851-1917)
Lt-Col Francis Panzera
British soldier and administrator. Born of Italian ancestry in England, he entered the Royal Artillery and held several posts in Britain, before being dispatched to South Africa in 1892 as Government Engineer and Superintendent of Public Works for Bechuanaland (Botswana). During the Matabele War of 1893 he commanded the Imperial base at Macloutsie, on the Southern line of communications, and later helped in the construction of the first railway line to Bulawayo. During the Jameson trial he appeared as an expert witness. In 1897 he assisted in the delimitation of the western boundary of the Transvaal, and in 1899 was sent as Special Commissioner to Ngamiland. During the South African War he commanded the artillery defending Mafeking and constructed in local workshops a cannon, christened 'The Wolf,' now preserved in London. Afterwards he was appointed Resident Commissioner for the Protectorate of Bechuanaland and during World War I commanded the Alien Detention Camp on the Isle of Man.

United Kingdom
PLUMER, Field-Marshall 1st Viscount, of Messines (1857-1932)
F-M Plumer
Commissioned into York and Lancaster Regiment. In 1884 he was posted to Egypt. In 1893 he was sent to Natal and in 1896 to help quell the rising in Matabeleland (later Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe). In 1899 he raised the Rhodesian Horse. He served throughout the South African War, proving one of the most successful column commanders, usually leading colonial troops; being promoted Brigadier. In 1914 he commanded the II Corps and in 1915 the Second Army. In 1917 after Caporetto he was sent to Italy to command Allied forces there. In 1918 he was recalled to France to lead the Second Army during the German Spring offensive. In 1919-1924 he was appointed Governor of Malta and in 1925-1928 High Commissioner for Palestine and Trans-Jordan.

IrelandUnited Kingdom
POORE, Lt-Colonel Robert Montague (1866-1938)
Robert Poore was born in Dublin, 20th March 1866, the eldest son and second child of Major Robert and Juliana Benita Poore. Major Poore had served in the 8th Hussars between 1852 and 1864, before retiring at thirty from the effects of rheumatism. The Poores moved around until settling at Old Lodge Salisbury in about 1869. Young Robert went to Stubbington House near Fareham from the 5 Feb 1877 until 20 Dec 1877 and then went to Cheam School in September 1878. Like Stubbington, Cheam had a naval tradition and it is possible that he was destined for the Royal Navy (his mother was the daughter of Admiral Corry, one time ADC to Queen Victoria). He left Cheam in 1880 and came under the supervision of private tutors to prepare for the Army Exams. In 1882 Poore failed the Army Preliminary Entrance Examination.
Poore's father sent him off to France and later to another tutor in England but he again failed his exams and a further time in early 1883 and then a fourth time in July 1883. His father used his influence and Poore received a commission in the 3rd Bn The Wiltshire Regiment (Militia) but failed the Militia exams in two subjects in December. In February 1884 Poore at last passed his Army Exams and later in 1886 he passed the Militia exams. Eventually he received a commission in the Wiltshire Regiment and joined them in Jersey. Meanwhile his father was lobbying to get his son into the cavalry and eventually in October 1886 Poore was given a vacancy in the 7th Hussars.
During this period he continued to play cricket, although he was only involved in matches of club standard. He also played tennis well and was good enough to beat A W Gore who won the men's championships at Wimbledon on three occasions.
Poore went off with his regiment to India and settled into the life of a Victorian cavalry officer and seemed to spend most of his time playing polo and cricket. In 1887 he went down with typhoid and was sent back to England for a year in order to recuperate. During his convalescence he played a lot of cricket and appeared for Wiltshire. On returning to India he became ADC to Lord Harris, the Governor of Bombay, and a former captain of Kent and England. Poore remained in India during which time he played cricket at the highest level until October 1895 when the 7th Hussars were posted to South Africa.
Poore soon made his name in South African cricket and was playing for Natal versus England by early 1896. As a result of his good performances he was selected to play for South Africa versus England on three occasions, but his batting in this exulted company resulted in a highest score of 20 and an average of just over 12 for his 6 innings.
In March 1896 the situation in Rhodesia was getting out of hand and the Governor called for military assistance and on the 22 July Poore, a newly promoted captain, was serving under Major Ridley (later to gain fame in South Africa as a Mounted Infantry commander) as they entered Bulawayo. Poore later served under Baden Powell in the Matabele campaign which lasted until November. In 1897 Poore and his regiment took part in the actions against the Shona and he took over command when Ridley was wounded. In July 1897 the 7th Hussars marched on Mashiaombi's kraal along with the Salisbury Police and captured it. In October 1897 the Hussars entered Mozambique, entrained and caught a ship at Beira for Durban. Poore had seen his first taste of action and received the British South Africa Company's medal with two clasps for Rhodesia 1896 and Mashonaland 1897.
In early 1898 Poore returned to England and met and later married Flora Douglas Hamilton who was the sister of the 13th Duke of Hamilton. He was invited to play for Hampshire County Cricket Club and made his debut on the 19th May against Somerset. and later in the season made his maiden century against Essex. At the end of the season he was made ADC to General Redvers Buller.
In 1899 Poore played regularly for Hampshire and it was the year of his greatest triumphs. He played 10 times for Hampshire and twice for the Gentlemen v the Players and scored a total of 1551 runs at an average of 91.23. This average for a season was not beaten until Bradman overcame it whilst on tour in 1930. He scored 6 centuries including the then highest score for the county of 304. Whilst scoring his triple century he and his partner Capt Wynyard achieved the highest 6th wicket stand in English cricketing history of 411 runs. This record still stands.
The start of the Boer War coincided with the end of the cricket season and Poore went to the War Office to see how he could play his part but his first job was to go to the USA to take charge of purchasing mules for South Africa. On arrival in New York he received a telegram saying that he was appointed to the Military Mounted Police and returned to England immediately.
By January 1900 Poore was Provost Martial with the South African Field Force, a job that effectively was the Army's Chief of Police. He joined Lord Roberts at Modder River at the start of his campaign and entered Bloemfontein on the 13th March. Shortly afterwards he became a Justice of the Peace for the Bloemfontein District and later on was put in charge of the local police. Lord Roberts twice mentioned him in despatches for his work during this period. The first on 31 March 1900 (LG 8 Feb 01) said "Capt. Poore 7th Hussars "has exercised his responsible duties as regards care of prisoners, or in maintaining order in camp and on the line of march, in a most satisfactory manner" His second mention appeared in the London Gazette on 16 April 1901 " Major R M Poore, 7th Hussars, has, as, Provost Martial, carried out his somewhat thankless duties with commendable energy and success.
Poore accompanied the army in the march towards Pretoria and after it was announced that Roberts was going home Poore hoped that he would go with him but he stayed in Pretoria as Provost Martial. Poore, throughout his life was a great diarist and compiler of scrapbooks and kept a vast amount of trivia. His diary for South Africa is at King's College London and covers his service there until Jan 11 1902. On September 30th 1901 he states his belief in war with no quarter and that it would be most merciful but terrible to contemplate. On February 8th 1901 he mentions that at Lord Kitchener's instigation "I am forming a Boer Commando of those who have surrendered voluntarily, their object is to loot cattle from the enemy." On February 20th he states,
"I am told to organise Bushveldt Mounted Rifles - men who have been turned adrift by the Boers"
It is interesting to note that recruiting for this force started the following day.
In April 1901 Poore was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) for his work under Roberts and this was presented to him at Maritzburg on the 14th August. In the latter part of 1901 and early 1902 he was involved in investigating the events in Northern Transvaal and probably organised the trial and execution of Morant. He certainly played a large part in accumulating much of the evidence that was produced at the trial. For much of the time Poore's wife was with him in Pretoria, and certainly was with him in the early part of 1902. They lived in a rented house in Pretoria called Belle Vue from 8 Feb 1902 until his return to UK in July. On leaving South Africa after the end of the war he received the Queens South Africa medal with six clasps and the Kings South Africa medal with the usual two clasps.
After the Boer War Poore continued to play first class cricket whilst remaining in the army. He went out to India in command of the 7th Hussars as a Lt Col and on the outbreak of the 1914-18 war he hoped his regiment would be sent to France. Eventually he was promoted to Brigadier General in charge of the Jhansi Brigade and saw out the war in a training role. He retired from the army in November 1921 after having been made a Commander of the Indian Empire (CIE).
After the war Poore settled in Dorset, became a JP on the Wimborne bench and continued to play cricket, golf and tennis. He built a house in 1925 called Rose Lawn Coppice near Wimborne and there he was buried after his death on 14 July 1938. Lady Flora remained in the house until her death in 1957 and is buried alongside him overlooking Broadstone Golf Club.
"The Army's Grace" by Jeremy Lonsdale, Scrapbooks at Hampshire CCC and QOH Museum. Papers at the Liddle Hart Centre for Military Archives. His bound journal of the Rhodesian campaign is at the National Army Museum.

United Kingdom
RAWLINSON, General 1st Baron, of Trent (1864-1925)
General Rawlinson
Commissioned into King's Royal Rifle Corps, later transferring to Coldstream Guards. ADC to Roberts in India. 1898, Omdurman. 1899, Ladysmith, then on Roberts' staff. 1901-1902 successful column commander and promoted Colonel. 1914, commanded IV Corps, originally helping withdrawal of Belgian Army. 1916-1918, Fourth Army. 1919, in charge of Allied withdrawal from Archangel and Murmansk. 1920-1925 Commander-in-Chief, India.


EnglandCanadaVictoria Cross recipient
, Arthur Herbert Lindsay VC (1873 - 16 December 1932)
Sgt Richardson VC Richardson was born in Liverpool, England. In 1898 he emigrated to Canada where he spent some time working on a ranch before joining the North-West Mounted Police. At the outbreak of the Boer War he joined Strathcona's Horse and saw action in South Africa, where he won the Victoria Cross. Little is know if Richardson's subsequent activities until his return to England in 1916, where he worked as a labourer in Liverpool for many years.



WalesUnited Kingdom
RIMINGTON, Major-General Sir Michael Frederic ["Mad Mick"] (1858-1928)
Major-Gen Rimington
Born in Wales, entering the Inniskilling Dragoons in 1881. After service in the Bechuanaland Expedition in 1884 and 1885, as well as Zululand in 1888, he saw active service in the South African War, when as commander of Rimington's Scouts (also known as Rimington's Guides), he won distinction at Magersfontein, at Thaba'Nchu, the Brandwater Basin and elsewhere. In his later career he was Inspector-General of Cavalry in India.

United KingdomVictoria Cross recipient
ROBERTS, Field-Marshall 1st Earl ["Bobs"] (1832-1914)
Lord Roberts
Commissioned into Bengal Artillery East India Company and in 1858 won the Victoria Cross during the Indian Mutiny. In 1868 he particiapted in the Abyssinian Campaign and in 1878 the First Afghan War. In 1880 he led the famous march from Kabul to relieve Kandahar in Afghanistan. From 1885 to 1893 he was Commander-in-Chief of India. In 1895 he was promoted Field-Marshal. 1895-1899, Commander-in-Chief, Ireland. December, 1899-1900 Commander-in-Chief, South Africa replacing Buller. January, 1901, returned to England for triumphant reception. 1901-1904 Commander-in-Chief, British Army until this post was abolished and then Defence Council until 1905. Beloved by the soldiers more than almost any other commander in British history. Died when visiting Indian troops in France.

AustraliaNew Zealand
, Alfred William (1860-1935)
Alfred William Robin, incorrectly registered at birth as Robbin, was born on 12 August 1860 at Riddles Creek, Victoria, Australia. He was the son of James Robin, then working as a baker, and his second wife, Anne McDougall. The family moved to Dunedin, New Zealand, about 1861, and James Robin established what eventually became a thriving coach and carriage building business. Alfred Robin was educated at R. Gardner's Milton Hall school, Stuart Street and, for one year (1873), at the High School of Otago. On leaving school he joined his father's business as an apprentice, and later became a working partner.
From a very early age Robin was fascinated with military affairs. He was battery bombardier in his high school's artillery cadet corps, and between 1878 and 1883 he served with the New Zealand Regiment of Volunteer Artillery, the Southland Hussars and the Dunedin Cavalry Volunteers (as sergeant major). This unit became the Otago Hussars in 1886 and Robin received his commission as a lieutenant on 3 July 1889; he was promoted to captain on 7 February 1891. From 1891 to 1898 he commanded the Hussars; it was regarded as the most efficient volunteer corps and Robin as the 'smartest Commanding Officer in the Colony'.
In early 1897 Robin was appointed to select, train and command the mounted section of the contingent sent to Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee celebrations. In London he was selected to command the colonial section of the bodyguard escorting the Queen on her return to Windsor after Jubilee Day. In 1898 Robin resigned his partnership in the family business. On 7 December 1898 he was promoted to major and given command of the newly formed Otago Battalion of Mounted Rifle Volunteers. He accepted a commission in the New Zealand permanent forces in September 1899 and, as instructor to South Island mounted rifle units, he established a tactical school for officers.
Robin was in command of the First Contingent, which was dispatched to the South African War in October 1899. From May 1900 to April 1901 he commanded the 1st New Zealand Regiment and on 25 June 1900 he was promoted to lieutenant colonel in the New Zealand Militia. Senior British and other colonial officers admired Robin's competence and his ability to inspire loyalty in those under his command. On three occasions he was mentioned in dispatches for his leadership and personal exploits, and he was appointed a CB on 19 April 1901. He became a national celebrity, his portrait being included on commemorative medals, post office stationery and Christmas cards. He returned to New Zealand in May 1901, was presented with illuminated addresses, swords and caskets, and on 14 January 1902 was given a brevet colonelcy.
From 1901 to 1906 Robin was commander of the Otago Militia and Volunteer District. In December 1906 he was appointed to the newly established Council of Defence as chief of the General Staff, the first colonial to hold the country's highest military position. The Council of Defence, feeling that the volunteer system no longer met the country's defence needs, determinedly prodded a reluctant government to introduce some form of compulsion. Robin helped to implement the system of compulsory military training after its eventual introduction in 1909.
In December 1910 Major General A. J. Godley was appointed commandant of the New Zealand Defence Forces and became chief of the General Staff. Robin became adjutant and quartermaster general. He was awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers' Decoration in 1911, and appointed a CMG in 1912. In February 1912 he became the New Zealand representative on the Imperial General Staff at the War Office in London.
Robin was present at two Imperial General Staff conferences at which the question of training Dominion forces was exhaustively discussed. He closely studied ordnance and administrative services and the movement of troops by land and sea, and prepared a mobilisation scheme for dominion territorial forces.
Robin arrived back in New Zealand in December 1913 and on 13 February 1914 resumed his appointment as quartermaster general. On the outbreak of war in 1914 he offered to serve overseas. The government, however, considered his recent experience invaluable and kept him at home. With the departure of Godley to command the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Robin was appointed, on 10 September 1914, commandant to the New Zealand military forces within New Zealand. He was promoted to brigadier general on 18 June 1915. In this capacity he organised reinforcements and training for the Expeditionary Force.
Robin was appointed a KCMG in 1916 and on 21 October, on Godley's recommendation, promoted to major general. He ceased to be quartermaster general on 5 May 1919 and relinquished command of the forces on 10 December that year. He declined the offer of an appointment as military representative at the New Zealand High Commission, London. For a short period in 1920 Robin was acting administrator of Western Samoa, and on 1 January 1921 he was posted to the retired list of officers. In recognition of his services during the war the president of the French Republic appointed him a Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur in 1922.
In retirement Robin took an active interest in the First New Zealand Mounted Rifles' Association - of which he was president from its foundation in 1901 until 1935 - and the South African War Veterans' Association of New Zealand. For over 10 years he was Wellington metropolitan commissioner of the Boy Scouts' Association and in April 1933 received scouting's highest award, the Silver Wolf. He was a devoted supporter of the St John Ambulance Brigade and was appointed a Knight of Grace of the Order of St John on 17 May 1929.
Alfred Robin never married. He died at his Wellington home on 2 June 1935, having declined a military funeral. Robin was noted for a selfless dedication, an enjoyment in working long hours, and a thorough understanding and knowledge of military affairs. An accomplished artist who had exhibited at the Otago Art Society between 1885 and 1906, he demonstrated his artistic abilities in the quality of his military plans and maps. Five feet 8½ inches tall and strongly built, Robin developed from a handsome young officer to a distinguished general. He was idealistic and patriotic but modest, and immensely proud of having risen from the ranks of the volunteers. His character and his ability earned him both popular acclaim and the warm esteem of politicians and fellow soldiers.

Essay from The Dictionary of New Zealand Biography vol.3 (1996).
© CROWN COPYRIGHT 1996. All rights reserved.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
SCOBELL, Major-General Sir Henry Jenner (1859-1912)
Maj-Gen. Henry Scobell
Born in England, he entered the Army in 1879 and rose to be a major-general. During the South African War he served in both the Cape Colony and the Transvaal, capturing amongst others the Boer Commandant Lotter who was subsequently executed in circumstances that aroused much criticism. From 1909 he commanded the British garrison in South Africa.


SCOBIE, Lieutenant Robert (31 Mar 1871 - 7 Aug 1915)
Colonel Robert ScobieRobert joined the 4th Regiment of Volunteers and received his commission as a Second Lieutenant in 1900. The Australian War Memorial Boer War Nominal Roll lists him as serving in the Boer War (1899-1902, also known as the Second Boer War, or "South African War") as a Lieutenant in the 3rd New South Wales Mounted Rifles. This unit departed Australia for South Africa on 15 and 21 March 1901, and returned on 3 June 1902.

Boer War actions in which the 3rd New South Wales Mounted Rifles took part included:
An engagement with Botha (25 Oct 1901): (captured documents);
Support of New Zealanders near Vrede (23 Feb 1902).

This experience probably was of limited use to Robert in his later military career. The Boer War was a vastly different operation to the First World War. In contrast to the mass slaughter on static, stalemated battlefields which typified the First World War - including the Gallipoli campaign in which Robert was killed - the Boer War was more mobile, typified by hit-and-run, long-range sniping and search-and-destroy guerrilla warfare. The mobility was mostly provided by old-fashioned horsepower. The only mechanised transport of significance was rail. The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History suggests that Robert's unit principally participated in the anti-guerrilla and mopping up phases of the war:

The third and subsequent contingents were largely deployed in sweeping the countryside and in enforcing Kitchener's policy of denying support to the Boer guerrilla forces. There was much hard riding across the long distances of the veldt where it was scorching during the day and freezing at night, occasional skirmishes with small Boer parties, and extensive burning of farm houses and confiscation of Boer horses, cattle and wagons. The 3NSWMR [Robert Scobie's unit-GT], for example, covered 1814 miles in 153 days in the latter half of 1901. The romantic image that the raising of the bushmen contingents had conjured up sat uneasily with the realities of this stage of the war. For all the lack of glamour, there were dangers: skirmishes inevitably brought casualties-the 3NSWMR lost five killed and suffered 19 wounded in five months in 1901. There were no major engagements, but Australians were involved in actions at Elands River (4-16 August 1900 [these actions unlikely to have involved 3NSWMR-GT]), and Haartebeestefontein (21 March 1901) where they acquitted themselves well and reinforced their reputation for courage and boldness.

Robert Scobie was killed on the 7th August 1915 at the battlefield of Lone Pine. About noon on 7 August, detached forward positions of the 2nd came under strong Turkish bombing attack and had few bombs to throw back. Several officers were killed or wounded. Bean says,

The garrison was being bombed from several directions, and had little opportunity for defence. At this stage, Colonel Scobie, a typical Australian countryman, sparing of words but decided in action, went forward himself and decided that the detached posts could not be usefully maintained. He accordingly ordered a retirement from the communication trench to the main position, himself remaining in the sap while his men were withdrawing from it. He had sent for one of the large improvised bombs, which he intended to throw with his own hands in order to cover the retirement, and was above the parapet, heaving it, when he fell back dead.

Sincere thanks to Grant Thompson for the above information.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
SCOTT, Admiral Sir Percy (1853-1924)

Admiral Sir Percy ScottBorn in England, he joined the Royal Navy in 1866, and saw active service in the Ashanti War of 1873 and in later campaigns in the Congo and in Egypt. During the South African War he came into prominence by bringing Naval guns from Durban for the defence of Ladysmith. For this purpose he designed gun carriages capable of transporting 6 inch and 4.7 inch ordnance. He later served in the Boxer Rebellion in China and, during World War I, was in charge of the London air defences.



ScotlandUnited Kingdom
SCOTT-TURNER, Major Henry (1867-1899)
Major Scott-Turner
Born in Scotland and educated at Clifton College, he joined the Royal Highlanders in 1887. He saw service in Africa in the Matabele War of 1893 and again in the Matabele Rebellion in 1896. Entering the service of the British South Africa Company, he was seconded for special duties in Kimberley on the outbreak of the South African War and took a leading part in the city's defence. He was killed while leading a successful sortie on Carter's Ridge in 1899.



EnglandCanadaUnited Kingdom
SHARMAN, Colonel Charles Henry Ludovic, CMG., CBE., ISO. (1881-1970)

Colonel C.H.L. SharmanBorn in South Woodford, England in December 1881, Charles Sharman was educated at St. Lawrence College, where he studied law and passed the first examination of the Incorporated Law Society. His  attention was drawn away from the law to the excitement of the Klondike Gold Rush. At the age of 16, Sharman was visiting Canada and applied to join the North West Mounted Police. He emigrated in 1898 after being engaged as a special constable in Regina. He quickly rose to the rank of sergeant by July 1903. During this time, he fulfilled his dream and joined Colonel Sam Steele in the Klondike and received his promotion to Sergeant before being discharged on 31st October 1903.
Although he volunteered for service with the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles during the South African War, he arrived at the front too late to see active service.
After leaving the NWMP and returning to Eastern Canada, he joined the Department of Agriculture where he would remain from 1905 until 1927. Throughout this time he served with the militia artillery.
On the 19th April 1906, Sharman was appointed a Provisional Lieutenant with the 2nd Battery, Canadian Field Artillery. He quickly qualified as a subaltern (9 May 1908) and then as a Captain (7 June 1908) with the same unit, by then known as the 2nd Ottawa Field Battery.
On the 19th April 1913, Sharman was promoted to the rank of major and given command of the 2nd Ottawa Battery. He attended the militia staff course which he passed on the 20th of June 1914 just before the outbreak of the First World War. With the declaration of war with Germany in August 1914, Sharman was seconded to the CEF on the 22nd October and placed in command of the 1st Battery, 1st Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery (taking command from Major E.T.B. Gillmore).
The 1st Battery embarked for Britain, and quickly found itself joined to the Allies at St. Nazaire. Sharman served with distinction on the Western Front being wounded at Ypres on 6th May 1916. Promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel on the 17th July, he returned to France to command the 4th Brigade, CFA.
He became Chief Instructor, Canadian School of Gunnery in Witley, Britain on the 30th April 1917. On the 26th November, he was promoted Commandant, Canadian Reserve Artillery.
In May 1918, the British landed an expeditionary force at Murmansk, Northern Russia under the command of Major-General F.C. Poole. The immediate destination was Archangel, where they were to muster and train local forces willing to fight the Bolsheviks. While Canada had been actively involved since June, 1918, the War Office only asked for the support of two batteries of field artillery in August. In response, the 16th Brigade, CFA, consisting of the 67th and 68th batteries (with six 18pdr guns each) was formed at Witley.
In April, General Ironside was informed that he was to peacefully evacuate Northern Russia. Prime Minister Borden informed his Military Staff that the Canadians in Russia were to be withdraw without further delay. In June 1919, the 16th Brigade left Russia for home. Colonel Sharman received the recognition of the United States Secretary of State for War for his valuable and distinguished service during this operation. The White Russian government awarded him the Order of St. Vladmir with Swords, 4th Class.
Sharman returned to Canada on the 3rd August 1919.
In his civilian life, Sharman served as the Chief of the Canadian Narcotic Service (1927-1946), the Canadian Delegate to the Opium Advisory Committee in Geneva (1934-1946), Chairman of the United Nations Narcotics Commission (1946-1947), as the Canadian Representative to the UN Narcotics Commission (1948-1953), as a member of the Drug Supervisory Body (1948) and as its Chairman (1953-1958).
Sharman died on the 15th May 1970. He was awarded the Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (1919), Commander of the Order of the British Empire (1918), Companion of the Imperial Service Order (1946), 1914-15 Star, War Medal, Victory Medal with oak leaf, 1911 Coronation Medal, 1937 Coronation Medal and the Order of St. Vladimir with Swords, 4th Class (1920).

United Kingdom
SMITH-DORRIEN, General Sir Horace (1858-1930)
Smith-Dorrien - Thumbnail only
Commissioned into Sherwood Foresters. 1879, Zulu War. 1898, Omdurman. 1900, brigade commander under Roberts, later column commander until 1901. He was said to have had "a constitutional inability to communicate with the private soldier". 1914-15, II Corps but dismissed by French and saw no further active service. 1918-1923, Governor of Gibraltar.

STEELE, Sir Samuel Benfield (5th Jan. 1849 - 30 Jan. 1919)
Sir Samuel Steele
Sir Samuel Benfield Steele was born at Purbrook, Canada West (now near Orillia, Ontario). He joined the militia in 1866 during the Fenian troubles and was a private in the Red River Expedition of 1870.
He joined the Permanent Force Artillery in 1871 and, in 1873, became a sergeant-major in the newly created NWMP. He achieved commissioned rank in 1878, and his first command was at Fort Qu'Appelle (Saskatchewan) in 1879, where he was in charge of police detachments supervising the building of the CPR. In 1885 he was promoted superintendent and in 1898 established Canadian Government authority during the Klondike Gold Rush. Steele was given command of Lord Strathcona's Horse in the South African War, and in 1901 was made commander of "B" Division of the South African Constabulary, a position he held until 1906. In 1915 he commanded the second Canadian contingent to be sent overseas in World War I.
In 1916 he was appointed general officer commanding the Shorncliffe area in England, a post he held until the end of the war and his retirement in 1918. He died at London, England on January 30, 1919.

WalesUnited Kingdom
WARREN, General Sir Charles (1840-1927)

Gen. Sir Charles Warren Born in Bangor, Wales and educated at Cheltenham College and Bridgnorth. He then trained at Sandhurst and Woolwich, before entering the Royal Engineers in 1857. His first post took him on a survey to Gibraltar, and after serving as an instructor he was posted to Palestine on archaeological work.
In 1876 he was sent to the Cape to define the much disputed frontiers between the Griqualand West Diamond Fields and the Orange Free State, about which he later wrote an amusing book called On the Veld in the '70's. During the Griqualand West Rebellion of 1878 he commanded the Diamond Fields Horse and fought against the Bechuanas. As Administrator and Commander-in-Chief of Griqualand West he led the Northern Border Expedition in 1879.
Recalled overseas, he did work in the Middle East, but in 1884 was back in South Africa as major-general to occupy Bechuanaland ahead of the South African Republic. He entered English politics, and, after being Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in London, held a post in Malaya.
On the outbreak of the South African War he was made Lieutenant-General of the Fifth Division, South African Field Force. He became involved in disputes with the War Office, and was criticised for alleged excessive caution. His policy at Spion Kop was much disputed, although his actions have been, to a large degree, vindicated in a book by Owen Coetzer, The Road to Infamy: Colenso, Spioenkop, Vaalkrantz, Pieters, Buller and Warren. After carrying on operations in the North-West Cape he returned to England in 1900.

ScotlandUnited Kingdom
WAUCHOPE, Major-General Andrew Gilbert (1846-1899)
Major-General A.G. Wauchope
Born at Niddrie Marischal in Scotland. He began his career in the Navy as a midshipman in 1860, securing his discharge two years later. He joined the Army and in 1865 received his first commission in the 42nd Regiment. After service in Cyprus (1878-1880), in Egypt and the Sudan, he was promoted to major-general and given command of the Highland Brigade on the outbreak of the South African War. Within a few weeks of his arrival he was killed at the head of his men at Magersfontein. Though buried on the battlefield, a monument to him was erected by his countryman J.D. Logan, at Matjesfontein hundreds of miles away, primarily because when his widow was asked permission, she thought he was being buried at Magersfontein.
He was said to have been wounded in every engagement he had participated in.

IrelandUnited Kingdom
WHITE, Field-Marshall Sir George Stuart (1835-1912)
F-M Sir G.S. White
Born in County Antrim, Ireland, he studied at Sandhurst and joined the Army in 1853. After service in the Indian Mutiny in 1857 he spent many years in the East, winning the V.C. in Afghanistan in 1879, and rising to Commander-in-Chief in India in 1893, a post he held until 1897 when he was made Quartermaster-General in London. On the outbreak of the South African War he became Comander-in-Chief in Natal, where he was responsible for the successful defence of Ladysmith. In 1900 he became Governor of Gibraltar and in 1903 Field-Marshal.

WILES, James (Jim), Fletcher (1883 -1939)
James Fletcher Wiles
James (Jim) Fletcher Wiles was born in Australia in 1883 and served in the Army in the South African Campaign at the age of 17. He was awarded the South African medal with three clasps, one of the few survivors of the Wilmansrust disaster, and was best known for inventing the mobile steam cooker.
As a young soldier Jim observed that there was an urgent need for catering equipment for the front line troops. Being one of the youngest in the Regiment he spent a lot of time in the cooking of meals and he conceived the idea of a mobile steam cooker, instinctively realizing that steaming vegetables was much better than boiling them.This was later to be confirmed by the C.S.I.R.O. during the early stages of World War II. The first cooker was made and used in World War One.
James Fletcher Wiles died in 1939, but his sons continued to update and redesign their father.s cooker. After a long struggle with government bureaucracy, they made over 3000 units that were to be used by all branches of the Armed forces in Australia, New Zealand, USA and Britain.

WILSON, Major Lachlan Chisholm (1871 -07 April 1947)

Lachlan Chisholm Wilson was born in Brisbane in 1871. His father, Charles Wilson, was a pioneer sugar planter in the Logan District south of Brisbane and his mother was a daughter of Lachlan Chisholm, another pioneer of the district. Lachlan Chisholm Wilson completed his education at Brisbane Grammar School, where he was enrolled in 1885. Wilson did well at school and took a keen interest in rowing. On leaving in 1887, he was appointed to a clerkship in the Department of Lands, where he appears to have started legal studies and was called to the Bar on 3 December, 1895. On 12 November 1896, he joined the office of the Crown Solicitor in Brisbane, where he worked for three years under James Howard Gill, then Crown Solicitor.
In January 1900, both Wilson and David Buchanan, a school friend, volunteered to join the 2nd Queensland Mounted Infantry Contingent for the Boer War as troopers. The contingent sailed on the Maori King on 13 January 1900 and disembarked at Capetown on 24 February. They were in action soon afterwards.
With a number of other Australian Contingents, the 2nd QMI was absorbed into the 1st Mounted Infantry Brigade under the command of Major-General Hutton and served in the 3rd Mounted Infantry Corps. With this corps, Wilson and Buchanan took part in the advance on Pretoria and subsequently in operations at the Vet and Zand Rivers near Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Riet Vlei and Zilikat's Nek. For part of this time they were under the command of Major Chauvel. By November, under the command of Captain H. J. I. Harris (later to command the 5th Light Horse Regiment), they were in Machadodorp District. Later they were attached to Major-General H. W. Kitcheners Column, by which time both Wilson and Buchanan had achieved the rank of corporal. One of their last operations was at Swartz Kopje on 13 February, 1901; it was there that Buchanan was seriously wounded and Wilson was taken prisoner. According to an account in Smiths Weekly, Wilson was captured when he refused to leave the badly wounded Buchanan, risking his own life protecting his friend. They were released four days later in an exchange of prisoners.
Both Wilson and Buchanan returned to Australia with the 2nd Contingent when they completed their tour of duty, embarking on 31 March on the Tongariro. They arrived back in Brisbane and were discharged on 10 May 1901.
Wilson found good reason to settle in Townsville when he met the charming Nellie Grant Hartley, daughter of Robert Taylor Hartley, a north Queensland pioneer well known in both Cairns and Townsville. He married Nellie - the first of the Hartley girls to marry - in June 1903 at St James Cathedral, with W. S. Buchanan as best man.
Buchanan, however, was still restless after the Boer War and returned to South Africa in 1903, leaving the partnership. Though he returned to Townsville a few months later, in 1904, he did not rejoin Hobbs and Wilson but opened his own practice. He died tragically only five years later in 1909. After Buchanan's departure, Wilson carried on alone in the Townsville office, so that it was chiefly his work that enhanced the firm's reputation in the first decade of the twentieth century. It is most fitting that the firm should still bear his name.  An energetic young man, Wilson played golf regularly and was one of the Trustees for the first golf club in Townsville, at North Ward. He also maintained an interest in military affairs in Townsville, joining the local volunteer defence force and was commissioned in the 15th Light Horse Regiment in 1904 when he once again served with Lieu-tenant-Colonel Harry Chauvel, under whom he was destined to serve in World War I.
During the succeeding years, though continuing with conveyancing and estate matters, Wilson handled a number of court cases reported in the press. As one might expect, the more sensational received the greatest attention, as in the case of Ruby Vickery who murdered John William Brooke at Bowen in 1905; Wilson instructed the barrister, A. W. MacNaughton, to plead insanity, a plea that was accepted. The Brownrigg divorce also attracted much interest with headlines of The Actress and the Doctor. Dr Brownrigg, a Charters Towers medical practitioner, had married the actress, Rosa Eddleston, at Clermont. Frederick Slater of the Evening Telegraph, Charters Towers, reporting salacious detail, was sued for libel; Hobbs, Wilson & Co appeared for the defendant.
Within three years, Lachlan Chisholm Wilson was destined to make history on a larger and more turbulant stage. As a major figure and pioneering influence, whose name is retained in the firm today, it seems appropriate here to detail Wilsons impressive but now largely forgotten military record.
     By the time he left Townsville in 1912, Wilson was in command of the 6th Squadron of the 15th Australian Light Horse with the rank of Major. In Brisbane, he continued his military interests but in an infantry brigade, becoming second-in-command of the old Moreton Regiment. At the outbreak of World War I, Wilson joined the Australian Imperial Force as a Major on 30 September, 1914. He was appointed second-in-command to Lieutenant-Colonel Hubert Harris of the 5th Light Horse Regiment.
After returning to Australia, Wilson resumed his career in partnership with E. K. Tully but continued his association with the Australian Military Forces. From 1923 to 1927, he was aide-de-camp to the Governor-General of Australia and he commanded 11th Infantry Brigade from 1925 to 1929. From 1941 to 1942, during World War II, he was State Commander of the Queensland Volunteer Defence Corps.
    Wilson also participated in public affairs. He was Chairman of the Pensions Appeal Board; President of the Brisbane Legacy Club in 1929-30; Trustee of both the War Nurses Fund and the Limbless Soldiers Fund; and for a time President of the equivalent of the South-Eastern District Branch of the RSSAILA (now RSL). In business affairs, he was a director of the AMP Society; as Deputy Chairman of the Queensland Board, he returned to Townsville to open their new District Office building on 21 February 1938. This building superseded the original AMP building in east Flinders Street, in which Hobbs and Havard rented offices from 1898 to 1901. Wilson was also Chairman of Directors of Cribb & Foote and Alexanders Pty Ltd and served as Chairman of the Air Inquiry Committee that investigated the tragic loss of the aircraft Kookaburra.
Wilson died on 7 April 1947.

IrelandUnited Kingdom
WOLSELEY, Field-Marshal Viscount Garnet Joseph (1833 - 1913)

F-M WolseleyBorn in Ireland, he joined the British Army at the age of 19. After service in Burma, the Crimea, the Indian Mutiny and China, he was posted to Canada, where in 1870 he suppressed the Red River Rebellion. In 1873 he took charge of an expedition against the Ashantis on the African West Coast, and in 1875, as General, he was placed in command in Natal. Transferred to Cyprus as first Administrator, Wolseley was recalled to South Africa to replace Lord Chelmsford after the early British defeats in the Zulu War of 1879. Though the position had been restored before his arrival, he closed off the campaign and captured Cetewayo, the Zulu king. He became Governor of Natal and set up a new system of government in Zululand under a number of lesser chiefs. Meanwhile the Transvaal had been annexed for the first time and Wolseley was appointed its Governor on September 29, 1879. He put an end to the long-drawn-out Sekukuni War, and set up a new constitution for the Transvaal as a Crown Colony. After his return to England, Wolseley played a major part in reforming the British Army, overcoming much opposition. He successfully fought in Egypt in 1882 at Tel-el-Kebir but in 1884 failed in his efforts to relieve General Gordon at Khartoum. In later years he was Commander-in-Chief in Ireland from 1890 and of the British Army from 1895 to 1899. He wrote a number of books, including a Life of the Duke of Marlborough, and died in Mentone on the Riviera.

EnglandUnited Kingdom
WOOD, Field-Marshall Sir Henry (1838-1919)
F-M Sir H. Wood
Born at Baintree, Essex, he was the son of Rev. Sir John Page Wood, Bart. He went to school at Marlborough and entered the Navy. Joining as a midshipman in 1852 he served with the Naval Brigade in the Crimean War, was severely wounded and distinguished himself for gallantry at Sebastopol. In 1855 he changed over to the Light Dragoons, with whom he served in India and won the Victoria Cross in 1859. He saw African service in 1879 in Ashanti and in the Zulu War. After the defeat of Majuba he was appointed successor to Sir George Colley as commander in the field, but before he was able to take effective measures an armistice had been concluded. He later served in the commission that negotiated the restoration of Transvaal independence. From 1893 to 1897 he became Quartermaster-General and from 1897 to 1901, during the South African War, Adjutant-General. He wrote a number of books, including his autobiography, From Midshipman to Field-Marshall.

ScotlandUnited Kingdom
YULE, General Sir James Herbert (1847-1920)
Gen. Sir James Yules
Born in Scotland he entered the Army in 1865 and fought in Afghanistan, Burma and India. During the South African War he was in action around Ladysmith and commanded the retirement of British forces from Dundee.

C. R. B. Barrett, History of the XIII Hussars, London and Edinburgh: William Blackwood and Sons, 1911.
Belfield, Eversley. The Boer War. Hamden: Archon, 1975.
1 Debrett's Peerage.1920
C.F.J. Muller, 500 Years: A History of South Africa. Cape Town: H & R Academia, 1981.
Rosenthal. Eric [comp.] Southern African Dictionary of National Biography. London: Frederick Warne, 1966.
Williams, Hugh. "The Wiles Cooker" <>, June, 2000.

My sincere thanks to the following people who have kindly supplied images to this page:

Ken Hallock
Piet Steyl
Prof. Christo Viljoen


This site designed and maintained by Bowler Hat Design
All enquiries to
All rights reserved - 1996-2002, except content in the Public Domain.
No unauthorised copying or use of site material.



Further Reading

Baird, William. General Wauchope. Edinburgh: Oliphant, Anderson and Ferrier, 1901. DA68.32W3B3.

Cassar, George. H. Kitchener: Architect of Victory. London: Kimber, 1977.

Cutlack, F.M. Breaker Morant: a Horseman Who Made History. Sydney: Ure Smith, 1962.

Headlam, C., ed., The Milner Papers. 2 vols, London: 1931/1933.

Hillcourt, W & Lady Baden-Powell. The Two Lives of a Hero: Baden-Powell. London: Heinemann, 1964.

Kochanski, Halik. Sir Garnet Wolseley: Victorian Hero. London: Hambledon Press, 1999.

Lehmann, Joseph, H. All Sir Garnet: A Life of Field Marshal Lord Wolseley. London: Jonathan Cape, 1964.

O'Brien, Adrian. Milner: Viscount Milner of St James's and Cape Town, 1854 - 1925. London: Constable, 1979.

Pollock, John. Kitchener: Architect of Victory, Artisan of Peace. 2001.

[other details unavailable]

Preston, Terence [ed]. Garnet Wolseley, South African Journal of Sir Garnet Wolseley, 1879-1880. 1973.